I have been a bit under the weather the past couple of days and we have been in a string of rainy, gray days. I thought a nice, slow cooked soup would be perfect to both help me get better and also be the perfect comfort food for the bad weather. I looked up several different recipes for this dish, and in the end I decided to just wing it. I took the parts I liked best from each recipe to come up with my own. I hope you enjoy it!
Makes 8 servings, serving size about 1.5 cups
1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large stalks of celery
5 carrots, cut into rounds
1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
58 oz (4 14.5 oz cans) fat free, low sodium chicken broth
1 tsp onion salt
1/2 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground sage
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup uncooked jasmine rice
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a large skillet. Meanwhile, season chicken with salt, pepper and onion salt.
2. When the oil is hot, add chicken and cook until almost done.
2. Add onion and celery and cook until onion is translucent.
3. Place chicken, onion, celery mixture into a crock pot. Add the rest of the ingredients except rice. Stir to combine.
4. Set the slow cooker to high for one hour. After one hour, turn it down to low and cook for 6-7 hours. About 45 minutes before the soup is done add the rice.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Weight Watcher's Points+: 5