December 20, 2011
Fat Free Blueberry Cinnamon Muffins
Blueberry muffins with a hint of cinnamon - a perfect match. And almost no guilt because they are fat free! What could be better? These muffins are a wonderful start to any day. There once was a time when my weekends would not be complete without a gigantic blueberry muffin from Dunkin' Donuts. Sadly, those times are over. But, muffins need not be cut out completely. These muffins are definitely not as large as the ones you would get at a bakery, but knowing exactly what goes into them and feeling good about your choices totally makes up for that.
Fat Free Blueberry Muffins
Adapted from Food.com
Makes 12 servings, serving size 1 muffin
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup fat free milk
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F; spray a muffin tin with baking spray or line with paper liners.
2. Combine flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl; set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and sugar together until frothy; add in the milk, vanilla and applesauce and stir to combine.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until just combined, careful not to overmix the batter; gently fold in the blueberries
5. Spoon into muffin tins and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.