December 8, 2011
This recipe is the perfect combination of sweet and tart. I love cranberries and I have never found a recipe including them that I do not like. I have never had cranberries in a frozen treat before, so I jumped on the chance to try this recipe when I saw fresh cranberries in the store. Frozen cranberries can also be used, of course.
This is another recipe that I adapted from the Weight Watchers PointsPlus Cookbook.
Adapted from the Weight Watchers PointsPlus Cookbook
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1 1/4 cups water
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
1 cup fat free buttermilk
Juice of one lime
1. Heat cranberries, sugar and water in a large saucepan until the cranberries soften and pop and the sugar is dissolved.
2. Let the mixture cool for about 5 minutes and then transfer it into a blender and blend until smooth.
3. Strain the mixture through a sieve set over a large bowl, pressing hard on the solids.
4. Add the buttermilk, orange juice and lime juice into the mixture.
5. Refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours.
6. Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions. When this is done, if you want a harder sorbet, it can be frozen for a couple hours before serving.